Broccoli crispy American Hush puppies
- 150g (1 cup) fine stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 75g (½ cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- 1 cup shaved fresh corn kernels (2-3 corn cobs)
- 4 green onions, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 100 gr grated broccoli
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Litre vegetable oil, for frying (or light olive oil)
- Can of spray oil
- Aioli and extra chopped spring onions, to serve
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, broccoli, corn and green onion.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the buttermilk.
- Mix the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients. The dough should be thick enough to drop from a spoon slowly but easily.
- In a deep, 28cm frypan, heat oil for deep-frying. The hot oil should be about 3 inches deep, or deep enough for the hush puppies to float.
- Carefully drop the dough by heaped desert spoonfuls into the hot oil and fry, turning, until golden brown.
- Remove the hush puppies to paper towels to drain and keep warm while frying the rest.
- Serve with a small pot of aioli and scattered with extra green onions.
To get the batter to drop from the spoon more easily, lightly coat it with a spray cooking oil. Test the oil with a little bit of the dough to see if hot enough
Perfect to serve with grilled one-minute steak